Thursday 29 May 2014

Twenty First Birthday Card - Clarity Stamp Challenge 15: It's all about the words


It's hard to believe that my nephew will be 21 in a few days time.  The card I've chosen to make for him uses the Clarity Clockwork stencil.  For the central panel I taped the stencil to some beige Centura Pearl card and used a sponge to ink through the stencil with stonewashed and denim Adirondak inks.  I made the clock part darker than the cogs for emphasis.  The side panels are made in a similar way but I kept moving the stencil so that I got a more random effect.  
The randomness of the side panels contrast with the more ordered effect of the central panel and this fitted the Clarity Harmony Sentiment 'Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. Mahatma Gandhi'.  I used a Spellbinders die to set off the sentiment and inked the edges with Cloudy Blue Adirondak.  The sentiment and 3 panels are all matted onto the dark blue card that comes with the Clarity stencils.  The shininess of the card goes well with the Centura Pearl card.  The three panels are then matted onto gold mirri card.
I wanted some texture on the front of the card so used a tri-boss embossing folder which I felt complimented the Clarity Clockwork stencil and inked it with the same inks as before.  The key is a balsa wood die cut which I embossed with gold powder.
I am entering this card for the Clarity Stamp Challenge 15: It's all about the words.


16 comments:

  1. Perfect card for a 21st birthday - I hope your nephew likes it - good luck in the challenge too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet. He's doing a degree with lots of science so I think he'll appreciate the idea behind it. xx

      Delete
  2. Such a clever card Sue and just right for a male birthday, I'm sure your nephew will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. I hope he does. I love making cards for people I know.

      Delete
  3. Love it Sue, brilliant idea, gorgeous colours, and just a bit unusual, he'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Moira. I wish I could see his face when he opens it but sadly he lives some distance away.

      Delete
  4. A beauty, I'm sure he will love it. Thanks for entering it in the Clarity Challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naomi. Encouragement is always appreciated!

      Delete
  5. Great card Sue I am sure it will be well received. thanks for entering and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Glad you like the card

      Delete
  6. Great card Sue. Perfect for a 21st. I'm sure your nephew will love it. I really like that sentiment too, it's not one I've got but I think it will have to go on my wish list. Good luck. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne. I've had the sentiment for a while and the words seemed just right for his 21st birthday. It's the first time I've used the sentiment but think I must get it out a bit more frequently.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic Card Sue. Wishing you the best of luck. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, that's a lot of work Sue, stunning result! Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. It did take a while - it always does when I'm designing from scratch. My mind gets so full of ideas and I dither because I have to chose one of them!

      Delete